Not Your Usual Grilled Cheese No. 2: Loaded With Bacon, Egg, Tomato and Avocado

Not Your Usual Grilled Cheese No. 2: Stuffed With Bacon, Tomato, Avocado
Grilled Cheese with bacon, avocado, tomato & egg
This morning I decided to use up some food in the fridge and treat my husband to a nice breakfast. Grilled Cheese is always a favourite but I wanted the breakfast sandwich to be even more special.

So I decided to make a grilled cheese with fried egg, bacon, avocado, sliced tomatoes and my homemade sweet chili sauce. It was delicious!  I also created another special grilled cheese which I shared in a previous post on Ollie's Yummy In Your Tummy blog

Because I had some old hamburger buns in my fridge that needed using up, I decided to grill them on one side and use those as the bread part of the sandwich.

It really doesn't seem to matter how old and stale bread is in the fridge - once you grill it, it seems to revitalize!

So here is how I made this sandwich


1. Start your bacon cooking. I did mine on parchment paper in a 350' oven for 20 minutes. I chose oven cooking for the bacon simply because it's a no fuss-no muss method. I didn't want to have to watch bacon spitting on my stove top while I grilled buns and fried up some eggs.

2. While the bacon is cooking you can prep your avocado and tomato as well as lightly butter your buns for grilling.



3. When the bacon is about 5 mnutes from being ready, you can grill your buttered buns. While they are getting lightly toasted, fry some egss in a separate fry pan.

4. Frying eggs properly is an art. The secret to a nice fried egg with NO cripsy edges is to use low heat and fry the egg very slowly. Did I ever mention how much I dislike crispy brown edges on a fried egg that has been cooked too fast on too high a heat?

After you break your egg into the hot pan (put a bit of margarine in the pan and heat it til it bubbles), be sure you break the yolk. This is one fried egg that you don't want running all over the sandwich when it's put together. Cook the egg slowly and then flip it. Once it is flipped put a slice of cheese on top to melt and continue cooking the egg for about 1 more minute.



5. Now you are ready to assemble your sandwich. Put the bottom half of the grilled bun on your plate or cutting board. Carefully slide the cheese topped egg on to this bottom half.

6. Next comes the sliced tomato and then you can load the bacon. It's your choice how much bacon you want to add!

7. Spread your mashed avocado on the top half of the bun. Finish off the mounded cheese-egg-tomato-bacon with some salt and pepper to taste. I  only add salt and that goes directly on the tomato.  Then top everything with salsa or sweet chili sauce. I used my homemade chili sauce which I drained first as I didn't want the sandwich to be super soggy.

Hubs gave this an 8 out of 10 so I think it was a hit.

Grilling the hamburger buns
Mash the avocado. One avocado works well for 3 sandwiches
The eggs have been flipped and cheese added. I would have used "real" cheddar cheese but I was out so I used cheese slices instead.
This is the first stage of the assembly process. The egg and cheese are on the bottom half of each bun.
Spread the mashed avocado on the top half of each bun
Next add the sliced tomatoes and some salt to taste. Add pepper too if you wish.
Add as much bacon as you like. 
Hubs gets more bacon his two sandwiches than I do.
The final touch is some homemade sweet chili sauce
The final product. It doesn't matter if the bacon or the egg flop over the edges in this sandwich.








Comments