Reenie's Rhubarb Loaf

Today I took some of the rhubarb I froze a few days ago and made rhubarb loaf. It was so yummy! I could have made rhubarb muffins with this recipe but my husband hates muffins so I baked this in 2 loaf pans and he loves it. Go figure...

Since I was using frozen chopped rhubarb I just pulled out 2 bags and popped them in the microwave (open them first!) for about 1 1/2 minutes. They defrost very quickly, with a fair bit of liquid which you use in the recipe. Don't discard it.

I didn't invent this but I call the recipe Reenie's Rhubarb Loaf because my husband and a few friends call me 'Reen or 'Reenie. 

Ingredients (except I forgot to put brown sugar in the photo)
In one large bowl, you'll need to mix the following:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

In a smaller bowl, blend 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar and 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Gently whisk in 1 egg, 1 cup buttermilk (I substituted 2%milk + 1 tsp white vinegar), and 1 tsp. vanilla.





Now add the wet to the dry along with 2 cups of chopped rhubarb. Since I used frozen, I defrosted it and left the liquid that came with defrosting in to equal 2 cups.

Final Mixture
Mix gently by hand just until the flour mixture is blended in. I use a rubber spatula for this step.

This is where you decide if you are making muffins or loaves. Grease whatever pans you are using. I use Spray Canola Oil to grease my pans.

I used 2 meatloaf pans sprayed with Canola Oil. After you pour and scrape the mixture into your pans, you are ready to make the topping.

Ready for the oven
The topping is easy - just melt 1 Tbsp butter or margarine and add 1/2 cup packed brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Then sprinkle the topping over your muffins or loaves. 

The loaves or muffins go in a 350' oven. Bake loaves for 40 to 45 minutes. Muffins only take 20 to 25 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a very sharp knife if you don't have a cake tester. If the knife comes away clean, your goodies are done.

Cooling on a rack
After you take your muffins or loaves out of the oven, let them sit for 10 minutes before turning them out on a rack. Eat the first bite while your baking is warm - indescribably delicious!

This recipe has been changed from the original which I got a few years ago - but I forget where I found it. I did change it slightly and will probably tweak it some more even though I really like the taste.

Comments

OH my gosh, this sounds incredible! I love, love rhubarb, and will definitely be making this really soon. Thanks.
Jean
It is super yummy Jean! I just made some this morning from a batch of rhubarb I froze one year ago.

Still yummy!
Celia Lewis said…
This looks great, Lorine - I might actually get some rhubarb to make it. I've always thought that a home has a lilac bush out front, and rhubarb plants in a corner out back! Thanks for sharing.
Celia as a child we had a purple lilac tree in one back corner of our yard and a rhubarb patch in the other!

Now I have a fairly large rhubarb patch which I made my husband dig up from my old house 16 years ago and transplant in my current home.

Last year I bought more rhubarb plants to enlarge the area even more. I freeze my rhubarb to have it all winter long and last week I tried dehydrating, then rehydrating it. It works great!
GeneBugGrams said…
The first home I ever remember (2 to 5 years old) had Lilac trees and rhubarb plants in the yard. Today (60 plus years later) Lilac is still my favorite flower and I buy and use rhubarb every chance I get. It doesn't grow well in Texas. :(