Not Your Usual Grilled Cheese: Loaded with Bacon, Avocado, Mushrooms and Salsa

Not Your Usual Grilled Cheese: Loaded with Bacon, Avocado, Mushrooms and Salsa
This was such a yummy sandwich for lunch today. I made grilled cheese avocado mushroom bacon with salsa.

I had some avocados that were ripe and needed to be used, and my mushrooms were on their last legs. So what to do? I was craving grilled cheese and it suddenly struck me that I could throw all this together and make an avocado-mushroom grilled cheese.

Then I got a little carried away and added bacon and salsa. Here's how I made these:

First saute the bacon and sliced mushrooms. Use as much as you want, it's a matter of personal choice. I wish I'd used more bacon but next time I will double it.

Get out your cheese, avocado, bread and either butter or margarine - your choice. Today was grocery shopping day so I didn't have a nice thick French loaf, and had to use my "skinny" white bread instead. Next time I will definitely use a nice thick bakery loaf of white bread.

You might want to use "real" cheese too. It will have a much nicer flavour but hey, trust me, this sandwich was still yummy even with processed cheese!

Because I was making four sandwiches, I buttered four slices of bread and put them in a skillet, butter side down. Each piece of bread got one slice of processed cheese. I turned the heat on to medium and started cooking.

The bacon and mushrooms still weren't ready so I added slices of avocado and turned the heat off. When the bacon and mushrooms were cooked as I like them, I added them on top of the avocado.

You can see that I could have used more bacon. Well actually I could have used more of everything! Next time...


Now I turned the heat back on to medium-high, then decided I should add some salsa. So that was next, then I put the "lid" on (the second piece of bread, also buttered on one side only). Then it was just a matter of cooking the sandwiches until they were nice and brown and toasted on each side

I can't wait to make these again - with thick bakery bread and lots more of the filling.





Comments