The Birth of Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy

 Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy came to be out of two separate events in my life. My youngest son loved to cook with me. At an early age he declared he wanted to open a restaurant when he was older, called "Tyler's Yummy in Your Tummy" He never did open that restaurant but I loved the name and decided to use it for my Blog on Cooking and Recipes.



 "Ollie" replaced the name "Tyler" in the title simply because that same son suggested the nickname Ollie when my first grandchild was born. My middle name is Olive after my Grandmother, and I became Grandma Ollie to my grandchildren. And thus Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy was born!



 This blog will be a collection of recipes - family, my own, and any others I can find in my collection. I've been cooking for almost 50 years - having started as a pre-teen. In Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy I'll share my favourite recipes, tips and techniques with you.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Not Your Usual Grilled Cheese: Loaded with Bacon, Avocado, Mushrooms and Salsa

Not Your Usual Grilled Cheese: Loaded with Bacon, Avocado, Mushrooms and Salsa
This was such a yummy sandwich for lunch today. I made grilled cheese avocado mushroom bacon with salsa.

I had some avocados that were ripe and needed to be used, and my mushrooms were on their last legs. So what to do? I was craving grilled cheese and it suddenly struck me that I could throw all this together and make an avocado-mushroom grilled cheese.

Then I got a little carried away and added bacon and salsa. Here's how I made these:

First saute the bacon and sliced mushrooms. Use as much as you want, it's a matter of personal choice. I wish I'd used more bacon but next time I will double it.

Get out your cheese, avocado, bread and either butter or margarine - your choice. Today was grocery shopping day so I didn't have a nice thick French loaf, and had to use my "skinny" white bread instead. Next time I will definitely use a nice thick bakery loaf of white bread.

You might want to use "real" cheese too. It will have a much nicer flavour but hey, trust me, this sandwich was still yummy even with processed cheese!

Because I was making four sandwiches, I buttered four slices of bread and put them in a skillet, butter side down. Each piece of bread got one slice of processed cheese. I turned the heat on to medium and started cooking.

The bacon and mushrooms still weren't ready so I added slices of avocado and turned the heat off. When the bacon and mushrooms were cooked as I like them, I added them on top of the avocado.

You can see that I could have used more bacon. Well actually I could have used more of everything! Next time...


Now I turned the heat back on to medium-high, then decided I should add some salsa. So that was next, then I put the "lid" on (the second piece of bread, also buttered on one side only). Then it was just a matter of cooking the sandwiches until they were nice and brown and toasted on each side

I can't wait to make these again - with thick bakery bread and lots more of the filling.





No comments: