That got me thinking because I love pickles on hot dogs and hamburgers, and I always have one as a side with a regular Grilled Cheese.
So why not add my favourite pickle (not dills) to my grilled cheese? Then I guess I got a bit carried away because I sauteed some thinly slice zucchini, and pulled out some jars of my homemade Zucchini Relish and Sweet Chili Relish to add....... but boy these were good!
- Sliced processed cheese (that's right, I still have not bought a block of cheddar cheese!)
- Grated Cheddar Cheese - it comes in a bag, pre-grated. I buy the kind that has both white and yellow cheese
- Sandwich Saver Pickles. I love these things! But feel free to use whatever pickle you prefer
- Zucchini Relish (see recipe)
- Kak's Chili Sauce (see recipe)
- Horseradish Aioli
Hubs is not fond of zucchini and since I was sneaking in my zucchini relish I figured I better omit the zucchini slices for his grilled cheese.
I used Flax bread because that is all we had in the fridge! (Today is grocery shopping day)
Then I placed cheese slices, pickles and on mine (on the left) I added sauteed zucchini. The pickles I used are sliced nice and thin. You can see them on the right
I also sprinkled about 1 tsp. of ground Flax seed (1/2 tsp. per sandwhich) on top of the relishes.
You can't feel any difference in texture with the addition of Flax seed and you probably won't even taste the flax seed but it does give a very faint nutty flavour. And it is SO good for you!
I used two spatulas to do this, one to turn and one to hold the bread together so the filling would not spill out. Squish the sandwich down and toast the second side.
When the sandwiches are a nice golden brown and the cheese is melted, remove from the griddle and enjoy!