So I made grilled cheese out of all those ingredients plus some cheese, eggs and for extra good health, flax seed. Okay I see your puzzled looks but trust me - flax seed is not noticeable in foods, either in taste or texture. So it's perfectly okay to sprinkle some on to whatever you're making. And it is one of the best sources of Omega 3 there is!
- 3 eggs
- some margarine for the sandwiches and for frying those mushrooms
- bacon (about 3 slices per sandwich unless you are a die-hard bacon lover, then you will want more
- 3 large mushrooms, sliced
- a bit of salsa (about 1 tsp per sandwich)
- leftover cooked turkey or chicken
- pumpkin bread - enough to equal 6 normal slices of bread. I didn't have enough so had to make 2 pumpkin bread grilled cheese and 2 white bread
- cheese. Once again I forgot to buy cheddar cheese when we went grocery shopping on Monday so had to resort to processed cheese slices.
- Tomatoes. I didn't have any but I would have sliced them and included them if I had
You can butter your bread and start prepping your mushrooms. I also like to put each of the eggs I'm going to use in a small ramekin or cup so that I can inspect them to make sure there are no yukky bits.
Then I fried my eggs in one skillet and starting toasting my buttered breads in a second one. I talked about the right way to cook an egg so there are no crispy edges and so the yolk is not running out when you bite into your sandwich, at Not Your Usual Grilled Cheese No. 2
Once my bread was lightly toasted on one side, I started layering the ingredients - egg with melted cheese and flaxseed, then mushrooms and turkey, then bacon. I topped this with a dollop of garlic salsa (but I would use regular salsa next time) then put the second piece of bread on top. This is a thick sandwich and needs to be pressed down with something heavy.
This is the Flax Seed I buy. It can sprinkled on oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt, even on sour cream. You can bake with it by adding a teaspoon to your regular recipe for any kind of breads. Just be sure it is ground and keep it in the refrigerator once you've opened it. It's high in fibre and Omega 3