Poached Egg Avocado Bake

Recently I've seen several references to baking an egg inside an avocado half. Since I'm on a big avocado kick right now, I decided to try it for myself.

The first time I made this, I took a whole egg and separated the yolk from the white. Why? Because I noticed that the avocado hole was not going to be big enough for the whole egg. Separating the yolk and whites allowed me to put the yolk in first then carefully pour the white in until it reached the top of the avocado hole.

The problem was there was hardly any white in it! I would have had to scoop the avocado out even deeper and I didn't want to do that.
 
I baked it anyway at 350' for about 20 to 25 minutes and it was really yummy. I served it with my homemade watermelon relish as a side and put it on toast. And I added a little bit of cheddar cheese. Scrumptious!

1 beaten egg
The second time I made this I decided to beat the whole egg lightly - as I would do for scrambled eggs or an omelet. Then I divided that one beaten egg into two avocado halves and it worked beautifully.  Next I crumbled some feta cheese on top and baked it in a 350' oven. This time it needed almost 30 minutes to fully cook.








Egg poured into avocado halves
I scooped it all out and dumped it on toast topped with my homemade sweet chili sauce. I preferred this version over the first but both were yummy.








I would love to add more goodies (like a bit of sweet red pepper) to the avocado hole but if I did, it would displace the egg too much. So I'll think about how I might accomplish that. I do plan on adding a teaspoon of ground flaxseed to the beaten egg mixture next time - that will provide more fibre and a bit of a nutty flavour

Feta Cheese Added and Ready to Bake
Ready to Eat!
Eat it out of the avocado
or my fav - scoop out and put on toast

Comments