The Birth of Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy

 Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy came to be out of two separate events in my life. My youngest son loved to cook with me. At an early age he declared he wanted to open a restaurant when he was older, called "Tyler's Yummy in Your Tummy" He never did open that restaurant but I loved the name and decided to use it for my Blog on Cooking and Recipes.



 "Ollie" replaced the name "Tyler" in the title simply because that same son suggested the nickname Ollie when my first grandchild was born. My middle name is Olive after my Grandmother, and I became Grandma Ollie to my grandchildren. And thus Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy was born!



 This blog will be a collection of recipes - family, my own, and any others I can find in my collection. I've been cooking for almost 50 years - having started as a pre-teen. In Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy I'll share my favourite recipes, tips and techniques with you.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Chicken-Avocado RollUps

Chicken-Avocado RollUps
Another recipe tried and loved! The original idea for this dish came from Closet Cooking but of course I changed it to suit hubs and myself.

You need:
2 large chicken breasts
1 cup of chicken broth
1 tsp of coriander
1 tsp of cardamon
1 tsp. of cumin
4-5 small avocados
1 lime
1 cup sweet chili sauce
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

First I poached two large chicken breasts in my slow cooker for about 5 hours. I added 1 cup of chicken broth, 1 tsp of coriander, 1 tsp of cardamon and 1 tsp. of cumin to the broth.  Then I let them cook on HIGH for about 3 hours then down to LOW for the last 2 hours.

When the breasts began to fall apart, I removed them and pulled them apart with two forks. You could chop them into small chunks but I wanted these to be more mushed together than chicken salad.

Next I cut up 4-5 small avocados and diced them into small pieces. Don't be too fussy here, you can mash and rough chop them. Put the avocados in with the chicken in a small bowl and add the juice from  1/2 to 3/4 of a squeezed lime.



Add a bit of salt and pepper and about 1/4 cup grated cheese. I used mild cheddar. I then added my homemade sweet chili sauce. I didn't measure it, I just kept adding until the mixture was a nice consistency that held together. My best estimate for the chili sauce is about 1/4 cup or a little more.

Lay out 8 or 9 small tortillas. I used both whole wheat and white because that is what I had in the fridge. Divide the chicken-avocado filling fairly evenly into the middle of each tortilla and roll them up.

Put about 1/2 cup of the chili sauce in the bottom of a baking dish (a lasagne sized dish will work), then place each rollup on top of the sauce. Spread about another 1/2 cup of the chili sauce on top, then about 1 cup of grated cheese and cover tightly with foil.

Bake in 350' oven for 30 minutes. I would have served ours with a dollop of  Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream if I'd had some on hand. Hubs loved them! We had ours with a Caesar Salad topped with my homemade croutons.






1 comment:

Celia Lewis said...

Yummy-sounding, Lorine. Thanks for another great idea for dinner - I'm checking in the frig right now!