The Birth of Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy

 Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy came to be out of two separate events in my life. My youngest son loved to cook with me. At an early age he declared he wanted to open a restaurant when he was older, called "Tyler's Yummy in Your Tummy" He never did open that restaurant but I loved the name and decided to use it for my Blog on Cooking and Recipes.



 "Ollie" replaced the name "Tyler" in the title simply because that same son suggested the nickname Ollie when my first grandchild was born. My middle name is Olive after my Grandmother, and I became Grandma Ollie to my grandchildren. And thus Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy was born!



 This blog will be a collection of recipes - family, my own, and any others I can find in my collection. I've been cooking for almost 50 years - having started as a pre-teen. In Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy I'll share my favourite recipes, tips and techniques with you.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Rib-Ticklin' Spareribs

Spareribs are the only pork I eat. And I love them. But it took me years to find a recipe for cooking them in a way that suited me. This is it, so I thought I'd share it with you. I found it in a Canadian Living Magazine a few years ago.

 This is all you need to make these amazing ribs. A roast pan (I like to use one with a removable rack so there's less mess), tin foil, paprika, salt, cumin, brown sugar and of course - ribs. You'll need your favourite barbeque sauce too. I like Chipotle for Ribs and Chicken.
 Mix together 3 Tbsp. packed brown sugar with 3 tsp  paprika, 4 tsp cumin (the original recipe calls for 4 tsp of paprika but that's too much for my taste) plus 1 tsp of salt. Set this aside while you prepare the ribs by cutting them into smaller sections. I usually cut between every second rib.
 Arrange the ribs in a foil lined roasting pan.
Rub the ribs with the brown sugar mixture
Cover with tin foil and bake in a 400' oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove from oven and drain the fat off the ribs. Then brush them liberally with barbeque sauce and return to oven, uncovered, for about 20 minutes. I usually reduce the heat a bit for this last stage to 375'. Watch that they don't burn but you want them nice and browned and the sauce a bit bubbly.
Rib Ticklin' Spareribs

Remove from oven, cut the ribs into single portions for ease of eating, serve with your favourite vegetables and enjoy!  Usually I serve ribs with a loaded baked potato and a green vegetable but tonight I had leftover macaroni and cheese to use up so that's what you see here.

No comments: