Making Zucchini-Onion Relish

I love zucchini. Zucchini bread. Zucchini muffins. Grilled zucchini. Stuffed Zucchini. Zucchini lasagne. It doesn't matter how you cook zucchini, I love it.

 But I never thought of making zucchini relish before. Then I stumbled on a recipe on AllRecipes.com that sounded pretty tasty and I had four zucchini in the fridge that were about to be fed to the pigs. So I thought the time was right to try this out.

And it is delicious! I only got 4 jars out my shriveled up zucchini but I can always make more.

Here's what you need:

6 cups raw zucchini
2 cups chopped onion
2 1/2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar (no substitutes)
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 sweet bell pepper

Let's get started:

Wash the zucchini. Cut the ends off (but leave the skin) then shred it or grate it using your food processor. Chop or finely dice the onion. Soak the zucchini and onion overnight in cold water. In the morning drain the mixture and gently squeeze out some of the moisture.
 Here is the rest of what you need: Dry mustard, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, nutmeg, one sweet bell pepper diced. I forgot to put the kosher salt in this photo
Put all the ingredients into a pot on the stove. Mix and bring to boil, then simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes
And here is the Zucchini Relish simmering. Almost ready for the sterilized jars!
When the zucchini relish has reduced down to a consistency you like, pour it into your sterilized mason jars
Next step is to put the sealed jars of zucchini relish into a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Let cool, make sure the lids have popped. Test each lid by pushing down in the middle with your finger. If they sealed properly you can't move the lid at all. Label with date and name then store your relish in a cool dark place!

Comments