Sweet Potato Fry With Poached Eggs & Hollandaise Sauce

Darn one of the eggs broke! But it was yummy
Last week I had a brief glimpse of a brunch dish on T.V. No recipe was given and there were no instructions how to cook it, but it looked and sounded so yummy I decided to try to duplicate it.

All I could see was that it had sweet potato, sweet peppers, some kind of sausage and onion as a base, with a poached egg on top covered in Hollandaise. I knew it had more ingredients but it wasn't clear from the finished product what they were.

So this morning I created my own version and boy was it yummy! I started with pre-cooking one peeled and sliced sweet potato for about 10 minutes in boiling water (I think I'd reduce this to 8 minutes next time). Then I cooled it quickly in cold water and set it aside.








The chopped vegetables and sausage
Next I chopped into cubes 1/2 a red pepper, 1/2 a yellow pepper, one small onion, a small chunk of sweet sausage (I used chourico) cut into slices, and about 2 Tablespoons of fresh cilantro.

I set that aside to work on the Hollandaise sauce and the poached eggs.










I started the water for the poached eggs then made the Hollandaise sauce. For the sauce I melted about 1/4 - 1/3 cup butter and slowly added it to 3 beaten egg yolks, stirring constantly. I put a tiny squirt of lemon juice in the egg-butter mixture and a couple of shakes of cayenne pepper. I thought it might need a hint of spicy to contrast the sweet potato and peppers.

When my Hollandaise had thickened slightly, I kept it warm by pouring it into the pan where the butter had melted, putting the lid on and sticking it in the microwave. I didn't turn the microwave on of course, I was just using it as a warming oven.

Poaching the eggs in the egg boats
As soon as the water was boiling rapidly, put my eggs in their little egg boats (I don't know the actual name for them, I just call them egg boats and I love them for poached eggs! You have to remember to give them a quick spray with cooking oil though or the eggs will stick).

I gently put the egg boats in the water and turned the gass off and put the pan lid on, then set the timer for 10 minutes. I didn't want a runny yolk this time but I might try this with an 8 minute egg next time.

Don't take the lid off and in 8 or 10 minutes you will have perfect poached eggs in a beautiful circular shape, no straggly bits protruding.


Saute time!
Once the eggs were nestled in their hot water and the timer set, I sauteed the peppers and sweet potato mixture in a small amount of butter. I added salt and pepper to taste to the cubed items in the pan, and a quick shake of fine herbes.

It took about 5 minutes for the onions to be nice and soft but not crispy or brown. I just kept that mixture warm while waiting for the eggs to finish.









Ready to assemble
Okay everything was done and ready for assembly! First I had to get the egg boats out of the hot water and work fast to stop the eggs from continuing to cook.

So I scooped the saute mixture in to my glass dish and then turned out my perfectly poached eggs on top. Last was the Hollandaise poured over the top and my brunch was ready.

To make it even prettier I could have added some fresh parsley on top. You can see the finished dish at the beginning of this recipe. It was really tasty but I didn't are for the sausage I chose so next time I'll try another type.

I also think I might try cooking honey-garlic sausage separately and serving it beside the egg-sweet potato dish, or pre-cooking Sweet Italian and slicing it to add to the mixture.

My husband gave this first attempt a 7.5 out of 10. I'll do better next time I try it. But it was tasty!



Comments

Unknown said…
That looks really good! I love sweet potatoes, and I have those same silicon egg poaching cups. Will definitely have to try it once this So Cal heat dies down.

-- Colleen @ The Taste Place