Ollie's Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Icing

I love Carrot Cake. It's hard to find one in a restaurant that suits me so I make my own. I've tried many recipes over the years and this is the one I highly recommend. The original was found in The Canadian Living Cookbook published in 1987. I really didn't make any changes as it is delicious and fail-proof just as it is!

First grate your carrots. I use a food processor and grate about 6 large carrots. You need 3 cups of grated (in the green bowl in photo below)

In a large bowl beat 4 eggs, then gradually add 1 cup each of white sugar and brown sugar (see the sugars in the measuring cup on the right). Beat the eggs and sugars until they are light. Gradually beat in 1 cup of oil. I use Canola.



In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients as shown below. You need 2 cups all purpose flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.



Now stir the dry into the wet, then add the 3 cups of shredded raw carrot plus 1/2 cup raisins. The original recipe also called for nuts but I'm allergic so I don't use them.
 
Pur the mixture into a greased and floured pan. I use a Bundt pan but you can use a 10 inch tube or even a 13x9 inch rectangular (lasagne) pan.
 
Bake in a 350' oven for 1 1/4 hours for tube or Bundt pan; 45-50 minutes for lasagne pan. Be sure that when you stick a straw or sharp knife into the centre it comes out clean. That means your cake is done.


Let the cake cool in the bundt pan for 5-10 minutes then turn out on to cooling rack. You can wrap this in saran and then tin foil and then put in plastic container and freeze it for several weeks, then remove and frost with cream cheese icing, or just leave it for an hour then frost it and enjoy!


 
Cream Cheese Icing is the must have for this cake. Here's how to make it:
 
Cream together 8 oz package of cream cheese (I use low-fat, it tastes the same), 1/4 cup butter or margarine (I use butter, it cancels out the low fat cream cheese!), 2 tsp. vanilla. Gradually beat in about 3 cups of icing sugar (play it by ear - keep adding until you have a nice smooth spreadable consistency to your icing).
 

If you frost the cake while it is slightly warm, the icing will nicely drip down on the Bundt pan and make a nice looking design. If you want to get fancy, buy the marzipan carrots to decorate the top. I like these: Carrot Cakes Cupcakes Cookies(14307) - Carrots Shaped Edible Hard Sugar Decorations, 12 pcs
 
Very pretty and very yummy! The cake I made recently doesn't have the pretty carrot decorations on top as I ran out. But this is what it looks like when you're done.

And this is what the first few pieces look like just before you dig in! MMMmmm so good!


Comments