Asparagus Fritatta a la Ollie


I love Fritattas! I am always trying new Fritatta recipes, then changing them to suit my family. I modified one vegetable Fritatta recipe I found to cook the one you see above. We love asparagus so I used that as my main vegetable in this dish. Here is how I did it:

Preheat oven 350' Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish lightly with oil

Using a fry pan on the stove, heat 3 Tbps vegetable oil (I use Canola) and saute 1 cup of chopped asparagus, 3/4 cup chopped onion, 3/4 cup chopped red pepper (or orange or yellow) and 1 clove minced garlic. When tender, take off heat and let cool a wee bit.

Take a large bowl and beat 6 eggs plus 1/4 half & half cream (or whipping cream!). Stir in 2 packages of diced cream cheese. Dice the cream cheese quite finely or you will get a big chunk as you are eating the finished product. Add 4 slices of bread, cubed. I used white but you can use whole wheat instead. Add 2 cups of grated Cheddar cheese (I used mild and medium but you can use whatever suits you) Add the sauteed vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp Fine Herbes.

Pour into the baking dish and top with very thinly sliced tomatoes. Bake for at least one hour. The center must be set, so test it with a knife inserted in the middle. If the knife comes back clean, the Fritatta is done. If the knife has the mixture stuck to it, the Fritatta is not cooked.

Delicous hot or cold!

Comments

Mary said…
Sounds good but how much do you want to bet my husnad won't like because it has asparagus in it!!
Terri said…
Oh that sounds so good!