Grandma Ruth's Spotted Dick

I swear that is what this dish is called. It is a type of Suet Pudding which my English Grandmother made it all the time. When I was newly married she passed her recipe on to me. Grandma was born in 1894 and this was made by her mother for the boarding house she ran in Ramsgate England.

Please, if you do decide to make this, have the paramedics standing by to jump start your heart! I'm including it here in Ollie's Yummy in Your Tummy because it's a genealogy ancestor recipe. I haven't made Spotted Dick in years so the only photo I have is from the Internet


SPOTTED DICK

Mix flour and suet in equal amounts. (Yes Suet - like you feed to the birds!)

Add enough water to mix until it all holds together

Add raisins or dates if you want to make Spotted Dick. If you are making plain suet pudding, don't add them

Take a tea-towel (does everyone know what a tea-towel is? My American friend Kathi did not know) and spread it on the counter, then roll out the mixture and roll it up inside the tea-towel like a jelly roll

Pin the ends together so it doesn't fall open

Put the tea-towel with mixture into a large pan, cover with water and boil it for 3 hours on top of the stove. You can also steam the tea-towel mixture over a large pan of boiling water.

Serve warm or cold with custard on top. Grandma's mother (my great-grandmother) served her Spotted Dick cold with butter and brown sugar, sure to be an instant heart attack!

Comments