Oh So Yummy French Onion Soup

Yesterday I made caramelized onions in one of my smaller slow cookers. My house smelled amazing as the onions simmered on low all day.

Today I am making French Onion soup in the slow cooker because I want those flavours to meld and my house to smell divine all day.

I'm also using my automatic bread maker machine to do a fairly quick and easy loaf to have with that soup. There's nothing I like better than a good meal that didn't take me hours of standing to prepare!

 My husband is working outside on this cold blustery day and when he finally gets home he's going to be freezing. I can't think of anything nice than a steaming bowl of French Onion soup with homemade bread to warm him up.

Here's what you need to make some too.

For two big bowls or mugs you need 3 and 1/2 cups of beef broth plus 1/2 cup of the juice made when you caramelized those onions yesterday. Put that in your pot and add about 1 and 1/2 overflowing cup of caramelized onions (or more if you like!) Add 1 tsp of white sugar and 1 TBSP of good sherry. Optional if you like a little more "bite" in your soup: Add a teaspoon of Worcestershire.


In the pot ready to start simmering

That's it. Mix it together and set your crockpot to low. Let it simmer for about 6 hours.

When it's done, pour the soup into French Soup bowls if you have them, cut off a big chunk of that lovely homemade bread (you can cheat and buy a French or Cocktail stick at the bakery) then top it all with Gruyere cheese. I admit I used Cheddar in my most recent batch and it was still yummy!

Broil in oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Dig in!

Comments