Gloria's Island Chicken

My sister-in-law Gloria, who was born in Morroco, gave me this recipe many years ago. I love it and the only change I made was to use white wine in place of the water it calls for.

I am putting this recipe online as a tribute to Gloria who passed away very suddenly in May 2008. I miss her and whenever I make this dish I think of her and the first time she served it.

Ingredients

5 onions
1 whole roasting chicken
3 Tbsp hot water
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp coriander
salt & pepper

1 1/2 oz raisins
1/2 cup water (I use white wine instead)

Cut the onions into 4 chunks. Brown them in a bit of olive oil. Add 3 Tbsp hot water. Now brown the chicken separately in the olive oil. Add the onions, honey, vinegar, coriander, salt and pepper to the chicken.

Place everything in an oven-proof pan, do not cover, and put in a warm oven for 12 minutes. Add 1/2 cut hot water (or white wine) and the raisins. Cover and cook for 1 3/4 hour at 375'

Note: I used chicken breasts for the photos you see here. 4-6 breasts replaces the roasting chicken but reduce the cooking time by 30 minutes.

Serve warm with rice and a salad or green vegetable. This dish has a lovely subtle flavour.

Comments